Need help to stop smoking
Smoking Facts & Figures
Tobacco smoking is still the number one cause of preventable death and deprivation in the UK. In the UK 14.4% of adults smoke. Hampshire has reduced the smoking prevalence to 12.3%, however rates are much higher in areas of deprivation and in those with mental health needs. There are lots of positive reasons for your surgery to support and promote your free Smokefree Hampshire service:
- Fewer appointments. Smokers visit their GP 35% more frequently than non-smokers, taking up additional appointment time.
- Decrease in hospital visits. Smokers often have longer stays in hospital due to complications, as well as slower recovery times.
- Increased recovery rates.
- Reduction in medication.
- Increase in client and community wellbeing.
- Reduction in poverty. 428,000 people could be lifted out of poverty if the cost of smoking addiction is gone.
- Reduce the problems associated with second-hand smoke (such as childhood asthma, glue ear etc). When a home goes smoke-free the whole family benefits.
- We highly recommend that all your front line patient care staff take part in the very short and free NCSCT training on Very Brief Advice: https://www.ncsct.co.uk/publication_very-brief-advice.php
Want free help to stop smoking?. Smokefree Hampshire is your free and confidential local stop smoking service.
Our team can offer a range of free support options to help you quit. Choose from one to one appointments, or telephone support. We can also arrange stop smoking medications, supply NRT, or we can offer a vaping voucher scheme if you're ready to make the switch to an e-cigarette. Please call 01264 563039. Find out more at www.smokefreehampshire.co.uk.
Just imagine your future without cigarettes – feeling fantastic and having that extra money in your pocket. Stopping smoking can make a drastic improvement to your lifestyle and health in ways you might not expect. What’s more – your body will see instant health benefits as soon as you give up smoking, as well as benefitting from long term health improvement. We’re here to offer our free, expert support; so contact us today to start your smoke-free journey!